7.24.2011

quote

our new manager came in at about 3 today. i was due in at noon, but overslept, waking up at about 11:45. wake up roommate get ready etc, i walked in at 12:30. which isn't bad. general manager ambushed me in the cooler with a tirade about my temper, which is wildly hypocritical, a fact she brought up the last time she yelled at me about this - amy's 29, and fucking gorgeous, little 5'6" bundle of italian spitfire authority. it's come to my attention that my store is essentially run by kids, as the gm is 29, the next down is 28, new girl is 26... bringing us back around to the new girl, who came in during the one lull of an insanely busy day. as she's prepping paperwork and checking the line, she comes across me, cutting chicken, looking (i imagine) rather downtrodden, and possibly beaten.

i say, "i'm gonna tell you this now, before we get into the rest of the night. i'm not in a bad mood," as she was probably afraid of, "and i'm not gonna be; i have a hurt thumb, my hip is locking up, my other knee is going from supporting the extra weight, my stomach's bothering me, and i'm really trying not to talk about it because to me it all sounds like 'bitch bitch bitch, i don't wanna work today.' and that's not the case; i just want to work, keep to myself, and go enjoy my day off tomorrow." she sorta smiled, and with the words, "okay... thanks," i could feel a lot of unspoken relief. "but really," i added at the end, as i walked past her to go back to what id been doing, "it sounded like, 'bitch bitch bitch, i don't wanna work today,' right? because that's still how it sounds to me."

she laughed, and we moved on with our day, and i worked my ass off for nearly ten solid hours. my legs hurt, and i keep forgetting not to use my thumb to hit the space bar (which hurts every time), and i should probably eat something, but for now, the computer and this weed are enough. sometimes i wish there were a lover beside me, but for those times i have cigarettes, which is why i am always smoking. like right now.

oh, they're over there. i'm not moving.

i hear amy winehouse died today. imagine that.

No comments: